Where do you stand with making your health and well-being a priority?
Today, I invite you to take a moment to pause and ask yourself – How well am I doing with balancing my many roles and responsibilities with looking after myself?
Please read the statements below and answer True or False.
- The only way I can effectively manage my life is to take care of myself physically, spiritually and emotionally.
- I make sure I take daily private, quiet time for myself, whether I am meditating or simply doing nothing and taking the time to breathe.
- I eat healthfully and exercise regularly.
- Taking care of myself increases my ability to help others.
- I get regular check-ups, and I am proactive about my health and take preventative measures.
- I am present in my life and enjoy each of our four seasons: gardening, hiking, walking, more time outside; camping, swimming, barbeques; spending more time inside.
- Creativity feeds my soul too. I spend time doing what I love, whether that is cooking, drawing, painting, writing, dancing, singing or another creative hobby.
- Relationships with others deepen the meaning of my life. I regularly enjoy quality time with family and friends.
- Contributing to my community gives me connection and purpose, so I offer my time, energy and expertise where it is most valuable.
- I notice the emotional signals that tell me I am out of balance: anxiety, catastrophizing, irritability, overwhelm, resentment, self-pity.
- If I feel that I am coming down with the flu, I realize I may have strained my immune system with overdoing, so I take a time out and take care of myself.
- When I need or want to, I say no to requests for my time without apology.
- I am sensitive to my physical state. I listen and honour it when my body needs things like more sleep, a walk, fresh air, and healthy foods.
- If I have something planned for myself, I do not cancel my plans just because someone makes a request of me that can wait.
- I am busy, but I find time to do the things I want to do.
- I am reasonably comfortable in my skin despite some unresolved problems in my life.
- I am at ease in the world. I frequently experience happiness, peace and joy.
When you review the number of True versus False answers, what do you notice? Are there patterns?
In what way are you succeeding with making health and well-being a priority? What areas could use more attention? How might you, and the people you care about benefit if you make some changes?
What is the overall message for you today? What are three simple actions you can take over the next week to make your health and well-being more of a priority?
I welcome hearing about what you commit to and how it makes a difference.